Those seeking a good convection microwave oven will be very interested in the Panasonic NN-CD989S Genius Prestige Convection Microwave Oven. There are a lot of things that make the Panasonic NN-CD989S Prestige stand out above the rest, but the highest on the list for me would be the microwave, bake and broil modes, along with the combination of these modes, the one-touch sensor cooking and reheating feature, and of course the Panasonic Inverter technology.
Check Price on Amazon
Review of the Panasonic NN-CD989S Genius Prestige Sensor Convection Microwave Oven with Inverter Technology
1.5 Cubic Foot, 1100 Watt
Countertop/Built-in Convection Microwave in Full Stainless Steel
The Panasonic NN-CD989S Prestige Convection Microwave Oven is an extremely versatile and convenient appliance making it a favorite appliance in the kitchens of those who love to cook. It not only looks very smart and sophisticated in the kitchen but it can do almost anything you want it to. This makes it a fantastic option for busy families and home cooks. It isn’t just about convenience however; the food cooked in this thing tastes amazingly delicious! This is due to the well liked Panasonic inverter technology.
Inverter technology ensures your foods keep their flavor and juices, have a great color and nice texture resulting in a much more tasty meal than you would get from non inverter microwaves. No more overcooked edges, or boiling hot sections of food while the rest remains cold. This is because instead of cycling the power on and off, inverter microwaves are able to operate at low power settings providing your foods with a consistent amount of heat. The result is evenly cooked and heated great tasting meals.
And don’t forget this is a convection microwave oven, this means you can bake and brown foods and it tastes just like it would coming out of a normal oven. With combination mode you can get the speed that comes with microwave cooking but with the taste, texture and thorough cooking that comes with convection cooking.
- Full Sized Countertop Convection Microwave Oven
- Can be used as a built-in microwave – Optional built-in kits are sold separately.
- 1 ½ Cubic Foot Capacity
- 1100 Watts of Cooking Power
- 15 inch Ceramic Turntable – Removable
- 10 Power Levels
- Inverter Technology – Create similar results to cooking in a conventional oven.
- Inverter Turbo Defrost Technology – For quick and thorough defrosting.
- One-Touch Sensor Cooking and Reheating – Cook and reheat several types of foods automatically with just a push of a button. Choose from 18 food menu options. The microwave adjusts the power level for you and works out the length of cooking time as well.
- Microwave Mode – For fast cooking, reheating and defrosting of foods.
- Bake Mode – Circulating heated air bakes and browns your foods.
- Broil Mode – Keep the flavor and juices of foods as heat is applied quickly to your foods in broil mode.
- Combination Modes – Bake and brown your foods with convection cooking with the fast cooking times a microwave provides.
- Easy to Use Control Panel – Have a easy time programming with 2 programmable dials which you use to select the weight, time and temperature you want for your meal, combined with easy to use real push down buttons.
- 6 Digit Readout Display
- Display has a Multi-Lingual Menu Action Screen – Choose whether to display English, French or Spanish for a scrolling step by step instruction guide.
- Keep Warm Mode
- Delay Start
- More/Less Control
- Quick Minute Button
- Popcorn Key
- Stainless Steel Front with Silver Wrap Finish – Fingerprint Resistant
- Reflective Mirror Door Window
- Epoxy Interior
- Push Button Door Release
- Measurements: 23 7/8 inches wide by 19 5/16 inches long by 14 13/16 inches high
- Weight: 46 pounds
Feedback from owners of the Panasonic Genius Prestige Convection Microwave Oven has been very positive and the unit has received an average 4.1/5 star rating. Many owners are very happy with this unit and describe it as an amazing machine. A couple even state it is their best and favorite appliance in their whole kitchen. It comes highly recommended for those who want the best as it works extremely well as a second oven which you can use to cook, reheat, defrost, bake, broil and keep food warm.
It can be quite difficult to find a full sized convection microwave oven which has a good repair rating and can also be used as a built in. One owner hunted around local stores and a factory direct store and had trouble finding microwave’s with the option to build in. The units they did find were very small and cheap models, or they were very highly priced ($1000+). The Panasonic NN-CD989S Prestige offers a solution to those looking for an affordably priced, large, optional built-in, convection microwave oven.
Described by owners as a perfect microwave which cooks foods beautifully, this sleek and sophisticated looking microwave is a great worthwhile investment and is very good value for money. Panasonic has made a great choice with this model. What a fantastic addition to the kitchen of those who love to cook.
Click here to read customer reviews
Let’s have a good look at what makes this microwave one of the best:
- Good function. It does what owners need it to do, and does it well. Owners are very happy with the performance of this unit stating that it works very well. In particular the convection mode works great and heats up foods quickly. Cooking and reheating foods delivers great results and features such as turbo defrost and sensor cooking and reheating work accurately and pleasingly as you would expect them to.
- Delivers great results. Owners comment that foods are cooked beautifully in this oven (5/5 stars). Both microwave and convection modes produce great results of perfectly evenly cooked foods. One owner loves how beautifully the veggies turn out!
- Very good sensor cooking and reheating. Owners were surprised at how well the sensor cooking worked as well as how quickly the food cooked. Directions for sensor cooking were easy to follow and displayed in the microwave’s display. Foods reheated via the sensor reheat function turn out nice and evenly heated. The microwave sensors accurately when your food is hot.
- Defrosts very well. Owners comment that food is evenly defrosted in this unit, much more evenly than owner’s previous microwaves. This is hugely superior to many other microwave models which cook the edges of defrosted foods.
- Does everything! Very convenient. Cooking, reheating, defrosting, baking and broiling. You can do so much with this oven you hardly need to use your regular oven at all. Owners have cooked muffins, brownies, baked bread, melted butter, roasted vegetables, black beans (slow cooked) and marinated flat iron steak (slowly roasted). With so many uses this oven is extremely handy to have in your kitchen, and can save you a ton of time.
- Fast cooking times. Food in this unit cooks fast and evenly. Especially the microwave and convection combination mode. In this mode food is cooked with full convection heat but at a lower microwave power setting (30%). The result is very fast but even cooking.
- Has Inverter technology. Inverter technology is great for delicate foods, often in non inverter microwaves foods can come out boiling hot in some spots and still cold in others. Instead of the microwave turning the power on and off like most units, the inverter enables the microwave to operate and very low but consistent power settings. This results in much more evenly cooked foods. One owner comments on their experience with melting butter. When they melted refrigerated butter in a previous microwave the butter turned out with a big hole in the middle with melted butter but the surrounding butter was left hard. When melting butter in this unit the whole amount softens evenly, perfect for spreading on toast.
- Great features. The Panasonic NN-CD989S Genius Prestige has loads of features and more! With one-touch sensor cooking and reheating, inverter turbo defrosting, microwave mode, bake mode, broil mode, combination modes, it almost feels as though there is nothing you can’t cook in this microwave. Extra functions such as keep warm, delay start, easy programming dials and quick minute just pump up the convenience level. Keep warm is especially handy for keeping food warm while you prepare the rest of your meal. Other handy additions include a good owner’s manual, an excellent recipe book and cooking recommendations.
- Very large size. This unit has a very roomy and spacious interior with its 1 ½ Cubic Foot capacity. This is a great option for those wanting to cook all kinds of meals in their microwave as it can fit in those large casserole dishes. For example, a 9 by 13 inch rectangular casserole dish is able to spin inside the microwave on the 15 inch turntable.
- Easy to Use. Owners have found this unit to be intuitive and user friendly. You don’t need to keep going over the manual as programming is very easy to figure out on your own. A big plus is the use of the dials. You can set the time with the dial very quickly in increments of 10 seconds. The digital display is also very informative and easy to follow. It keeps you informed of where you are in the cooking cycle, and informs you of upcoming process steps.
- Quiet operation. Some owners found the operation of this unit to be very quiet whereas others found it to be a bit loud. This is probably due to the comparison of it to previous models owned. One owner stated that this model is much quieter than their previous Viking model.
- Terrific Build Quality. Many owners have commented that the Panasonic NN-CD989S Prestige is very well built. It feels solid and is of good quality. This gives it great value as it is just as well built as more expensive units.
- Looks great. The Panasonic NN-CD989S Prestige looks simple and sophisticated, as well as very modern and professional looking. Owners love the appearance of this microwave and receive a lot of compliments from friends about how nice it looks in the kitchen. It’s like a kitchen show piece!
- Great value for money. Many owners were very happy with their unit and found it to be a great purchase. One owner comments that it is worth every penny as it is an excellent investment. It can be quite difficult to find a convection microwave oven that can be used as both a countertop and a built in (with the trim kit) and other models found in stores were upwards of $1000. You don’t need to spend more as the Panasonic NN-CD989S Microwave offers you pretty much everything you could want in a convection microwave, for a lower price. A great buy and a great price.
- Good shopping experience. The majority of owners experienced great service from Amazon with fast delivery times.
There are always a couple of cons with every microwave model, but these seem tiny compared to all of the pros it has received:
- A bit noisy – Some owners found this unit to be a little loud, whereas others found the operation to be fairly quiet. This is subjective to models previously owned.
- Very big – Some owners may find this unit is too large for their counter space and a smaller model would be sufficient enough for their needs. Some owners however would like this unit to be even bigger!
- Trim kit is not included in the price so needs to be brought separately. (Owners do really like the high quality and look of the trim kit however).
- Top and sides get very hot during convection mode. It is advised not to touch the top and sides whilst cooking in this mode.
- Construction quality. Although many owners found the Panasonic NN-CD989S to have a very high build quality, one owner comments that it feels a bit cheap compared to their previous 20 year old unit. That seems to be the case with today’s models, even with all the new and fancy features, appliances do not feel as tough and solid as they used to.
- A couple of owners received a faulty product and had to replace it. They did feel that it was a great product however and opted to replace it rather than get a refund. It is unfortunate though owners have received faulty products at all.
The Panasonic NN-CD989S Prestige Convection Microwave Oven looks to me to be the best if not one of the best convection microwave ovens around. It is not too expensive, which is a great selling point, and has loads of features to making cooking in your kitchen not only easy but fun too.
This unit seems to excel at cooking pretty much anything, so whether you want to cook muffins, brownies, chocolate cake, baked bread, baked pizza, roasted vegetables, broiled fish fillets or a marinated flat iron steak, you can feel comfortable knowing you are going to get a hot, well cooked and delicious result. It’s just like grabbing something out of a normal oven!