Sweet dessert pies, is there anything more delicious? Dessert pies are a rare delight. Perhaps not something you would have very often, but when you do it’s absolutely delicious!
Sweet dessert pies can be made for any occasion, but are a great idea for birthday’s, parties and as an after-dinner surprise dessert among friends (how lovely!). Whether it is a special occasion or just a special treat you make for your family, a sweet dessert pie is always welcomed.
Favorite dessert pies include apple pie, cherry pie, pecan pie, lemon pie, lemon meringue, and cheesecake pie. These are all delicious pies, but we are going to show you a few different sweet pie recipes, to give you some rare treats you might want to try.
The best thing about these dessert pie recipes, is you don’t need to bake the pie, and you don’t even need an oven. Most of the following recipes can be followed using only the microwave and fridge, while a few may require the use of a stove-top or a pre-bought baked pie crust or shell.
How to make sweet dessert pies using your microwave
Sweet dessert pies which can be made in your microwave include Peanut Butter & Choc Chip Mousse Pie, Choc & Mint Grasshopper Pie, Caramel & Banana Pie and Hershey’s Kisses & Peanut Butter Cream Pie. These sweet pies some of our favorite treats, so scroll down this page to see the recipes and make them for yourself! These delightful desserts are serve chilled and stored in either the refrigerator or the freezer.
An absolute favorite for sweet-tooth lovers, and even for everyone else on a special occasion, a sweet dessert pie is a rare and delicious treat, that your guests will love.
Recipe: Peanut Butter & Choc Chip Mousse Pie
Serving Size: 10 approximate serves; makes 1 mousse pie
Ingredients for Mousse:
- 1 cup of peanut butter (chunky)
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 container (12-16 ounces) of whipped topping (for example, the “Cool Whip” topping brand) – choosing a larger bottle will result in a more fluffy filling.
- 1 cup of butter
Ingredients for Topping:
- 1/2 a cup of chocolate chips (milk or semisweet)
- 2-3 tablespoons of half and half – a mix of whole milk (half) & heavy cream (half)
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of corn syrup (light)
Ingredients for Crust:
- 1/4 of a cup of chocolate chips
- 1/2 a cup of butter (finely chopped)
- 2 cups of brownie crumbs
Preparing the Crust:
- Grab a large mixing bowl and add in the chocolate chips, brownie crumbs and butter. Combine together.
- Move the mixture into a spring-form pan (10 inch), and press the mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Pop in the freezer while you make the mousse.
Microwave Cooking the Mousse:
- Grab a microwave-safe medium-sized bowl, add in the brown sugar and butter, and combine together.
- Microwave mixture for 3 minutes, stopping at 1.5 minutes to stir before cooking to 3 minutes.
- Then, pop into the refrigerator to cool for approximately 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, grab a medium-sized mixing bowl and pour the cooled mixture into the bowl.
- Add in the chunky peanut butter and beat mixture with an electric mixer for 1 minute on the low speed setting, and then for 2 more minutes on the high speed setting.
- Next, add in the whipped topping (e.g. Cool Whip), and continue to beat using the electric mixer for approximately 1 minute on the low speed setting. Mixture is ready when thoroughly blended.
- Then, remove the crust you made from the freezer, and pour the mousse mixture into it, spreading evenly.
- Place crust with mousse filling into the freezer for around 30-60 minutes.
Microwave Cooking the Topping:
- After at least 30 minutes has past with your mousse in the freezer, grab a small-sized microwave safe bowl to make the topping. Add in the butter, chocolate chips, corn syrup and half-and-half mix into the bowl, and combine together.
- Heat this mixture in the microwave for approximately 1 minute. Once done, whip the mixture until it is completely smooth.
- Next, grab your frozen mousse from the freezer, and pour your topping all across the top of the mousse, covering the whole surface and spreading evenly.
- Place the fully made mousse back into the freezer for approximately 30 minutes so it can set.
- Can be left in the freezer until serving, and served frozen. Simply slice the mousse with a hot knife to serve.
- Can also be placed in the refrigerator once it has set, to be thawed before serving chilled.
Recipe: Caramel & Banana Pie
Serving Size: Makes 1 9-inch dessert pie – approximately 8 pieces
- 2 (large) or 3 (medium) bananas
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (e.g. Eagle Brand) – caramelized (see instructions below)
- 1 container of whipped topping (e.g. Cool Whip)
- 1 baked pastry shell (9 inch in size)
- 3 small-sized frozen candy bars
How to caramelize the sweetened condensed milk:
Note: You can caramelize the sweetened condensed milk in either the microwave, oven or over the stove. The microwave method is by far the fastest. See each method below.
Directions for Microwave Cooking:
- First, you’ll need a microwave-safe glass measuring cup (2 quarts in size). Pour the can of sweetened condensed milk into the cup and microwave on the half power or medium setting for 4 minutes, stop at the half way point to stir, and stir again to make smooth, once done.
- Microwave again, this time on the low to medium setting (about 30% power) for approximately 20-25 minutes, stopping at the 4, 8, 12 and 16 minute mark to stir briskly. And then during the last 10 or less minutes, stop more frequently, at 2 minute intervals, to stir. Make sure to stop cooking once the milk looks the color of caramel and is very thick.
- The milk is ready once it looks brown, is very thick to stir and has a caramel taste. Now, leave to cool.
- Skip down to the making the pie instructions.
Directions for Oven Cooking:
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Using a pie dish (9-inch), pour in the sweetened condensed milk, and then cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Then, place this dish onto a large and shallow pan. Fill this pan with hot water.
- Place these dishes as is, into your oven and bake for approximately 1 hour at 425 degrees F. It is done cooking once it is thick and looks like caramel.
- Remove from oven and beat mixture until it is smooth. Then, leave to cool.
- Next, follow the pie making instructions.
Directions for Stove-top Cooking:
- First, you’ll need a double boiler saucepan. Add water to the lower compartment and boil. Once boiled, pour the sweetened condensed milk into the upper compartment and sit on top of the boiling water.
- Leave to simmer for approximately 1-1.5 hours over a low heat setting. Stir the milk often during this process. Milk will be ready when it appears caramel in color and is very thick.
- Remove from stove, and beat milk until it is smooth, then leave it to cool.
- See below for the next step: making the pie.
Making the Pie:
Do this after completing one of the steps above to caramelize the milk.
- Grab your baked pastry pie shell. Slice each of the bananas and place them into the pie, lining the bottom of the shell.
- Then using a spoon, scoop all of the caramelized milk on top of the sliced bananas in the pie.
- Optional: If you want to, you can now add another layer of sliced bananas on top of the milk.
- Next, cover the entire top of the pie with your whipped topping (e.g. Cool Whip).
- Finally, sprinkle candy bars (crushed into tiny pieces), on top of the whole pie.
- Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Serving: Serve chilled.
Recipe: Hershey’s Kisses & Peanut Butter Cream Pie
Serving Size: Makes 1 9-inch dessert pie – about 8-10 servings
- 1/2 a cup of peanut butter (creamy)
- 18 Hershey’s Kisses
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 packet of cook and serve pudding and pie filling – vanilla flavored
- 1 cup of whipping cream – divided
- 1/4 of a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar
- 1 baked and cooled pie crust (9 inch in size)
- Optional: Extra Hershey’s Kisses
Instructions for Microwave and Stove-top Cooking:
Making the 1st layer of filling:
- First, grab a small microwaveable bowl. Remove the wrappers from each of the Hershey’s Kisses, and place the Kisses into the bowl, along with 2 tablespoons of whipping cream.
- Microwave dish for about 1 minute on the high setting. Stop once the chocolate Kisses have melted, and can be stirred smooth.
- Grab your baked and cooked pie crust and pour the chocolate cream mix into the crust, and spread evenly across the bottom of the crust.
- Place into the refrigerator until the pie has set (approximately 30 minutes)
Making the 2nd layer of filling:
- Next, grab a saucepan (about 2 quarts in size). Add in the creamy peanut butter and the pudding and pie filling. Whisk mixture, while slowly adding in the cups of milk. Continue to whisk until it is smooth.
- Place saucepan over a medium heat to cook the mixture. Stir often, and remove from the stove once it has thickened and begun to boil.
- Time mixture to cool for 10 minutes, whilst checking on it often and stirring well.
- Bring out your pie crust from the refrigerator. Pour your cooked pie filling over the chocolate cream later. Put whole pie back into the refrigerator until it has completely firmed (this can take several hours).
Making the Topping:
- To make the topping and final layer of the pie, grab a small mixing bowl. Add in the powdered sugar, the vanilla extract and the rest of the whipping cream. Beat the mixture until it becomes stiff, and then cover the entire top of the pie with this final layer.
- Optional: Cover the top of the pie with extra unwrapped Hershey’s Kisses if you like.
- Lastly, place a cover over the pie and leave to store in the refrigerator until serving.
Is your mouth watering yet? I know for the next special occasion I have coming up, I’ll be making one of these sweet dessert pies!