How to Microwave Cook Stuffed Peppers
Stuffed peppers is a tasty, satisfying and visually appealing dish. It is a nice light meal which is quite easy to make. Stuffed peppers can also be quite healthy and do not take long to cook. Preparation and cooking are simple and straightforward and allows you to make this beautiful and delicious dish quickly and easily. You can even make extras and store the leftovers to have as a lovely lunch the next day.
Making stuffed peppers involves cutting the top off bell peppers, or cutting the peppers in half, seeding them, and removing the stem and stem ribs from inside the peppers. You are then left with a nice little “bowl” to serve your filling. You can use both red and green bell peppers, but the red ones are a bit sweeter. Tip: If your bell peppers do not stand upright, cut a very fine slice off the bottom of them. This will allow them to sit upright and not fall over.
Not only do stuffed peppers taste great, but they also look great. They are a very nice dish to serve to guests, and look like something you would be served in a nice cafe. Vegetarian stuffed peppers also make a very pleasing and interesting vegetarian option to serve at a party.
Filling Ideas for Stuffed Peppers:
There are many different fillings that can be used when making stuffed peppers. You can make filings which are savory or spicy, and you can create unique filling flavors which makes 2 separate stuffed pepper recipes completely different. Stuffed pepper recipes include favorites such as ground beef, onion and rice stuffed peppers, or quinoa and mixed vegetables stuffed peppers with ricotta. If you need some ideas for making your own stuffed pepper fillings have a look at the list below.
Ingredient Ideas to use in your Stuffed Peppers:
- Add vegetables. Choose from a variety including diced cherry tomatoes or semi dried tomatoes, capsicum, zucchini, celery, or onion.
- Fresh herbs or leaves such as basil, parsley, mint leaves, and kale leaves.
- Tasty additions you may want to consider adding are garlic cloves, pesto, olives, currants, pepitas, nuts, and boiled egg.
- Add a spice like ground cumin, chili flakes, curry powder, salt, and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Some extras you may want to add include olive oil, vegetable stock, lemon or lemon rind.
- Cheese is often used in many stuffing recipes. Popular cheeses used include mozzarella, ricotta, feta, Parmesan, goat’s cheese and tasty cheese.
- Often a sauce is added such as tomato sauce, paste or pasta sauce, mustard, or mayonnaise.
- A filling such as cooked rice, couscous, quinoa, or Amaranth.
- Meat if desired such as ground beef, turkey or tuna.
2 Microwave Recipes for Stuffed Peppers
Recipe: Stuffed Peppers with Ham & Cheese
Serving Size: Makes 4 side dish servings (4 stuffed whole peppers).
- 2 eggs (large-sized)
- ¼ of a pound of boiled ham – chopped to make ½ of a cup
- 1 onion (medium-sized) – chopped
- 2 large or ¾ pounds of green bell peppers
- 2 large or ¾ pounds of red bell peppers
- ¼ of a teaspoon of oregano leaves (dried)
- ½ of a cup or 3 ounces of feta cheese (crumbled)
- 2 tablespoons of flour (all-purpose)
- 1 cup of half-and-half (a mix of half whole milk & half heavy cream)
- 2 tablespoons of margarine or butter
- a dash of pepper
Preparing the Peppers:
Note: We are making chopped peppers and pepper shells, do not accidentally discard.
- Firstly to make the chopped peppers, remove the stems from each of the peppers while including some of the surrounding pepper around the stem (about an inch). Then, chop the surrounding peppers into small pieces making up around 2 tablespoons worth. Set this aside for now.
- Secondly we want to prepare the pepper shells. With the whole peppers you have, minus the stems, empty out and remove any seeds and ribs (you can discard these). Then sit each whole pepper shell into a muffin cup on a microwaveable muffin pan. Then, set aside.
Directions for Microwave Cooking:
- Grab a microwave-safe glass dish (medium-sized). Add in the margarine or butter and then microwave it for 30 seconds on a high setting.
- Next, add in the chopped ham, the chopped onion, and the chopped peppers you prepared earlier. Microwave dish on a high setting, this time for about 3 minutes. Stop at the half way point to stir the mixture, and cease microwaving when the onion becomes tender.
- Now add in the dried oregano leaves, the all-purpose flour, and the dash of pepper. Stir the mixture until it becomes smooth.
- Slowly add in the cup of half-and-half, stirring the mixture as you add it. Beat in the 2 eggs, and then add in 1/3 of a cup of the feta cheese (setting aside the remaining), and stir well.
- Now it’s time to add this filling into each of the whole peppers in the muffin pan. Split the mixture into 4 parts and scoop into each pepper. Microwave the stuffed peppers for about 4 minutes on a high setting.
- Using the leftover feta cheese, sprinkle it over the top of the peppers.
- Lastly, microwave once more, this time on a medium setting for approximately 10-12 minutes. Stop to turn the pan 90 degrees at each 3 minute interval. Stop microwaving at 12 minutes or when you can see the filling has set. Cool slightly and serve.
Recipe: Stuffed Peppers with Beef & Mashed Potato
Serving Size: Makes 4 side dish servings (4 stuffed half peppers).
- ¼ a cup of cheddar cheese (low-fat) – shredded
- 1 packet or 20 ounces of refrigerated mashed potatoes (e.g. Simply Potatoes)
- ¾ of a pound of ground beef
- 2 green bell peppers (large-sized) – cut in half lengthwise, and remove seeds
- 1 packet or 1.25 ounces of taco seasoning
- ½ a cup of water
- Optional: freshly cracked black pepper
Directions for Microwave and Stove-top Cooking:
- Grab a large microwave-safe dish. Get the 4 (cut In half) bell peppers and place them onto the dish with the open side facing downwards. Cover the dish in a microwave-safe plastic wrap and microwave dish for about 3 ½ minutes on a high setting. Peppers are ready when they feel tender and crisp. Leave the peppers now, to sit, while covered for 3 minutes, to soften the peppers.
- Whilst you are cooking the peppers in the microwave, move to your stove to prepare the beef. Use a large skillet (non-stick) over a medium to high heat. Spray the skillet with a cooking spray and add your ground beef to the pan. Cook it for about 3 minutes, stirring it often to crumble it. Add to it the taco seasoning and the ½ cup of water. Stir mix to combine together. Next, lower the heat setting and cover your skillet. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, stop when you see the beef is thoroughly cooked through.
- Head back to the microwave to cook your mashed potatoes, by following the microwave cooking instructions on the packet. Skip adding an extras like salt as it’s not needed.
- Now it’s time to fill each half pepper. First, scoop ½ a cup of the beef mix into each pepper. Next, on top of the beef, scoop 2/3 of a cup of mashed potatoes into each pepper. Lastly, cover each pepper with a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese (1 tablespoon per pepper), and if you like, sprinkle with black pepper (optional). Ready to serve.
And there you have it! Cooking stuffed peppers at home is not difficult, it is quite a fast and easy meal to make once you get the hang of it. And you can even cook them in the microwave oven, who would have thought! Try out different stuffed pepper recipes to find one you absolutely love, and then you can enjoy the great taste and great look! Eating stuffed peppers feels like such a delicacy!