Mint lovers rejoice! Something about chocolate and mint together is just so mouth watering, the taste is absolutely divine! So if you love the taste of mint, consider adding it to your next home cooked dessert. Cooking your own mint cheesecake, fudge, or pie is not as difficult as it may sound, and you’ll be please to find that you can cook the entire dessert by just using your microwave oven.
Microwave mint desserts are lovely to enjoy as an after dinner treat, as a dessert on a special occasion with friends and family, or as a indulgent treat you make for yourself or someone special on a birthday. Whatever and whenever the occasion, you will no doubt love (and so will everyone else!), a rich tasting delight or mint fudge, pie or cheesecake.
3 Mint Dessert Recipes
Here are 3 Mint Dessert Recipes you can cook entirely in your microwave oven!
Recipe: Choc & Mint Grasshopper Pie
Serving Size: Makes 6-8 servings; makes 1 dessert pie
- 1 chocolate crumb crust (9 inch in size) – See ingredients and cooking method below
- 1 chocolate candy bar – dark milk
- 3 cups of miniature marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons of cookie crumbs – chocolate
- 3 tablespoons of green creme de menthe (mint flavored liqueur)
- 3 tablespoons of creme de cocao (chocolate flavored liqueur)
- 1 cup of dairy whipped cream
- 1/2 a cup of cream
Ingredients for Crust:
Serving size: Makes 1 crust
- 1 1/2 cups of chocolate cookie crumbs
- 1/4 of a cup of butter
- 2-3 tablespoons of sugar (granulated)
Making the Crust in the Microwave:
Note: You can make the crust in advance and freeze it until you want to add your filling.
- Grab a microwaveable glass pie plate (around 9 inches in size). Place in the crust ingredients: the chocolate cookie crumbs, butter and sugar, and combine together well.
- Microwave on the high setting for about 2 minutes, stopping at the half way point to stir.
- Carefully press the mixture down into the bottom and sides of the dish, making sure it is even and shaped like a pie crust.
- Then, microwave on the high setting for approximately 1 more minute, so it can set.
- Place in the freezer to store.
Microwave Cooking the Pie Filling:
- Grab a microwave safe glass dish (2 quarts in size). Add the miniature marshmallows and the 1/2 cup of cream and combine together.
- Microwave mix on the high setting for 2-2.5 minutes, until you can see the marshmallows are puffy. Then, blend the mixture.
- Add in the creme de menthe and the creme de cocao, and stir, mixing it together well.
- Place mixture in the refrigerator for about 20-25 minutes allowing filling to chill and thicken , but not to set.
- After mixture has chilled and thickened, now it’s time to fold in the whipped cream.
- Then, pour the mix into your precooked chocolate crumb crust.
- Top off your pie with chocolate cookie crumbs and chocolate candy bar shavings.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill for approximately 4-5 hours or until you wish to serve it.
Recipe: Vanilla Mint Cheesecake
Serving Size: Makes 1 cheesecake, approximately 6-8 servings.
Ingredients for the Crust:
- 1 cup of crumbs (fine) – such as vanilla or chocolate wafer, cracker or cookie crumbs
- 2 tablespoons of sugar (packed brown or granulated)
- 3 tablespoons of butter
Ingredients for the Cake:
- 1 cup of sugar (granulated)
- ¼ of a cup of crème de menthe
- ¼ of a cup of flour (all-purpose)
- 16 ounces of cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Optional: chocolate sauce
Microwave Cooking the Crust:
- First, you’ll need a microwave-safe round cake dish. To melt the better, place the butter in the dish and microwave for 30-45 seconds on the high setting.
- Next, add the sugar and crumbs from your crust ingredients. Use a fork to mash the mix together, stop when it is thoroughly stirred.
- Now make the mixture into a crust. Do this by pressing lightly on the mixture, press and mold the mixture along the bottom and up the sides of the dish to about halfway, to form the crust.
- Microwave crust for 1 – 1 ½ minutes on the high setting, stopping at 30 second intervals to turn the dish. Stop when hot. Set crust aside to stand. Move on to make the filling.
Microwave Cooking the Cake:
- First, you’ll need a microwave-safe bowl or casserole dish 2 quarts in size. Unwrap the cream cheese and place it in the bowl. Microwave cheese for about 3-5 minutes on a medium setting to soften.
- Next, add in the flour, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, and crème de menthe from your cake ingredients. Using an electric mixer, beat ingredients at a high speed setting until it is thoroughly blended. Then cover the mixture with a microwave-safe plastic wrap.
- Microwave the covered mixture for about 10-12 minutes on a medium-high setting. Stop at 4 minute intervals to whisk the mixture thoroughly. You will see mixture melt and become shiny but after that it will thicken. Mixture is ready when it is hot and thick.
- Now, pour the thick liquid into the crust you made earlier. You now have 2 options to consider:
- If you want your cheesecake to be very firm, microwave the cake for another 10-13 minutes on a medium setting. Cheesecake is ready when it has completely set, looks dry on the top and is firm throughout.
- If you prefer your cheesecake to be softer and feel more like a custard, skip any more microwaving, and put it straight into the refrigerator for about 3 hours to set and chill.
- If you like, top the cheesecake with chocolate sauce, before serving.
Recipe: Chocolate Iced Mint Fudge
Ingredients for Chocolate Fudge:
- 4 cups of confectioners’ sugar
- ½ a cup of evaporated milk
- 3/4 of a cup of Hershey’s cocoa
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 a cup of margarine or butter
- Mint Icing (See Below)
Ingredients for Mint Icing:
- 1 ½ cups of confectioners’ sugar
- 1/8 – ¼ of a teaspoon of mint extract
- 3 tablespoons of softened margarine or softened butter
- 2 drops of red or green food coloring
- 1 tablespoon of water
Directions for Microwave Cooking Fudge:
- Prepare a square baking pan (8 x 8 inches) by lining it with foil.
- Using a medium microwave safe bowl, microwave the margarine or butter on a high setting until it has melted (approximately 1 – 1 ½ minutes).
- Add the cocoa to the bowl and stir mixture until it is smooth.
- Next, add in the vanilla extract and cups of sugar, whilst stirring mixture.
- Blend mixture together well until its texture becomes dry and crumbly.
- Add in the evaporated milk, whilst stirring.
- Once stirred, microwave mixture on a high setting until it is very hot (approximately 1-2 minutes).
- Using a whisk, now beat the mixture until it is very smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan right away.
- Cover pan and place in refrigerator and leave there until firm.
- Once icing is made, and fudge is firm, remove from refrigerator. Pour the mint icing over the fudge, being careful to spread it evenly across all of the fudge.
- Return iced fudge to refrigerator to firm.
Directions for Mint Icing:
- Using a small mixing bowl, place margarine/butter, mint extract and a tablespoon of water. Beat together well until thoroughly blended.
- Add in the food color along with the confectioners’ sugar in slowly while mixing.
- Blend mixture together until it’s smooth in texture.
- Once firm, remove the iced fudge from the refrigerator, take it out of the pan, and place onto a cutting board. Cut into even 1×1 inch square pieces.
- Best kept covered and stored in the refrigerator.
Yummy! How can anyone resist the taste of a mint dessert! Remember you can come up with your own recipes involving mint and other ingredients such as milk or dark chocolate, vanilla, cookie crumbs, marshmallows, candy and any other sweet you can think of! You can even add nuts or fruit for a completely different taste. Get cooking! So everyone will love your homemade delicious mint desserts!