Yes you can make lasagna in your microwave!
The traditional meal of lasagna has been a favorite for many for a long time, but now instead of needing to spend an hour cooking it in your oven, you can make homemade microwave lasagna in just minutes. A very handy meal for those without access to an oven, lasagna can actually be cooked completely in the microwave. And I must say, I think it tastes delicious!
Once you perfect your lasagna recipe and cooking method, you will be able to cook microwave lasagna which is tasty, with a great texture and turns out lovely, even better than an oven baked lasagna.
Tips for Making Microwave Lasagna:
- Make sure you use a Pyrex or other microwave safe dish for cooking your lasagna.
- Follow the recipe’s instructions on covering your dish, such as to cover your dish well with plastic wrap before microwaving, and opening a corner to release steam.
- When preparing your lasagna, try not to overdo the amount of cheese and sauce you use. Adding too much of these ingredients will cause your lasagna to end up sloppy. While using a minimal amount will ensure the whole lasagna holds together better. And then looks and tastes better too.
- Follow the cooking instructions from your microwave lasagna recipe, keeping in mind that you may need to alter the times to cater for a particularly powerful or non-powerful microwave. Try to keep your eye on it whilst cooking to check it’s progress. You want to cook it until it is completely thoroughly heated, but not overcooked (see next tip).
- Remember to rotate your dish a few times during cooking, to make sure each part of the lasagna gets properly cooked.
- Once it has cooked, before removing your lasagna dish from the microwave, you may need to carefully lift (using an oven mitt), the corner of the plastic wrap to release the steam. And then leave it to sit for 5 minutes in the microwave.
- Once cooked, leave lasagna to sit in the microwave to cool slightly for 5 minutes before removing the dish safely from the microwave using an oven mitt, and serving.
What ingredients are used in Microwave Cooked Lasagna?
The first thing you’ll want to get for your lasagna, is lasagna noodles. These need to be added uncooked, and you can find noodles which are made specifically for the microwave, but this isn’t a necessity.
Next, you will want some yummy cheese. Microwave cooked lasagna is often made by using either ricotta or cottage cheese as a base in between the lasagna noodles. And then topping each layer with sprinkles of mozzarella or parmesan cheese, or a mixture of both.
Microwave lasagna can be made very simply with just cheese, noodles and a tasty sauce, or you can add other ingredients. More filling recipes can be made vegetarian if desired by adding vegetables such as mushrooms, zucchini, spinach and/or onion. While those who prefer meat, can add in beef, meatballs or Italian sausage, either on its own or in addition to some vegetables. Egg is also sometimes added. Extra additions to give your lasagna a more unique taste and flavor include adding a teaspoon or two of fresh parsley, dried basil or roasted garlic (my favorite!). And don’t forget you can add a dash of oregano, rosemary or salt and pepper too! Choose a recipe that peeks your taste-buds and is easy for you to make to begin with, and see how you go from there. There are some very easy ones on this page to get you started. Maybe soon you will be the one sharing your recipes with others!
Lastly, and certainly not least, complete your meal by serving with a side of hot bread rolls or garlic bread. What a mouthwatering meal!
Our Easy and Tasty Microwave Lasagna Recipes:
Recipe: Cheesy Vegetable Microwave Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 lasagna
- ½ pound of lasagna noodles – uncooked
- 2 cups of mozzarella cheese – shredded
- 1 pound of ricotta or cottage cheese
- ¾ of a cup of parmesan cheese – grated
- 5 cups (40 ounces) of spaghetti sauce
- ½ a pound of sliced zucchini (leave skins on)
- ½ a pound of sliced mushrooms
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- 1 chopped onion – large sized
- ½ a teaspoon of rosemary (dried)
- ½ a teaspoon if crushed oregano
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- ½ of a teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 of a teaspoon of pepper
Directions for Microwave Cooking:
- Grab a medium to large microwave safe dish. Add to it, the zucchini, mushrooms and chopped onion. Also add in the oil, crushed garlic and oregano, dried rosemary, as well as the partial teaspoons of salt and pepper. Combine it altogether by mixing well.
- Cover your dish with some plastic wrap, leaving one corner uncovered for steam. On a high setting, microwave dish for 6 minutes, stopping once to stir. Set aside whilst doing next steps.
- Next, grab a shallow (around 3 ½ quart) microwavable dish.
- Spread 1 cup of spaghetti sauce along the bottom of the dish, and then cover the sauce by placing 3 lasagna noodles on top.
- Using only half of your cottage or ricotta cheese, spread on top of the noodles.
- Go back to your hot vegetable dish, uncover and drain.
- Place half of the hot vegetable mixture over the cheese in your shallow dish, spreading well.
- Next, take a ¼ cup of your grated parmesan cheese, and half (1 cup) of your shredded mozzarella cheese, and sprinkle on top.
- Spread another 1 cup of spaghetti sauce over the cheeses in your dish.
- Repeat these steps of spreading sauce (save one cup for the top), placing noodles (save 3 for the top), spreading the rest of the cottage or ricotta cheese, the rest of your vegetable mix, and the sprinkle the second cup of mozzarella and another ¼ cup of parmesan cheese (save ¼ cup for the top).
- For the final layer, place 3 lasagna noodles over the top of your dish. Spread your last cup of spaghetti sauce over them. And sprinkle the rest (1/4 cup) of your parmesan cheese over the top of your lasagna.
- Cover your dish with plastic wrap, leaving some venting space, and microwave on the medium setting for approximately 35 to 40 minutes. Stop the microwave at 10 minute intervals to rotate your dish, and check to see how it’s going. It will be fully cooked when the noodles are tender.
- When cooked, leave the cover on your dish, and leave to stand for about 5 minutes. Remove the plastic wrap, cut some slices and serve.
Recipe: Easy Cheesy Microwave Lasagna
Serving Size: Serves approximately 8 pieces of lasagna
- 1 ½ pounds of thinly sliced mozzarella cheese – (You can use shredded if you can’t find thinly sliced. But I find I get a better result with thinly sliced).
- ½ a pound to ¾ of a pound of ricotta cheese
- 1 box of uncooked lasagna noodles – (A premium brand such as Ronzoni is preferred).
- 1 pot of your favorite tomato pasta sauce – (Using a homemade recipe or a sauce like “Grandma Vinny’s Sauce” gives a good result).
Directions for Microwave Cooking:
Cooking Tip: Don’t be tempted to add extra cheese and sauce because you want your lasagna to be more yummy, it will just end up more sloppy. You need to use a light amount so it holds together well, can be cut, and looks and tastes great.
- First, grab a Pyrex microwave baking dish. Pour in just enough tomato sauce to cover the bottom surface of the dish. Pour enough sauce and spread to lightly cover the whole bottom of the dish.
- Next, dip each lasagna noodle into the sauce. Try and cover every noodle with a fine layer of sauce.
- Line the bottom of your dish with one layer noodles dipped in sauce.
- Use half or 1/3 of your ricotta (depending if you are making a 2, 3 or 4 layered lasagna), and shake over your layer of noodles.
- Lightly sprinkle on some mozzarella cheese (leaving leftovers for future layers).
- Lightly cover with your sauce.
- Repeat steps 3 to 6, placing noodles, then ricotta, then mozzarella, then sauce, until your dish is full or ingredients are low (leave extra sauce and one layer of noodles for the top).
- Spread on your top layer of sauce dipped noodles, then spread a nice amount of sauce over the entire top of the lasagna, making sure to cover it all (as the top will burn if not covered).
- Using some plastic wrap, tightly cover and wrap your dish. (Use extra wrap if you need to).
- Now it’s time to microwave your dish on the high setting for 10 minutes, stopping at the 5 minute mark to rotate it.
- At the 10 minute mark, rotate it again and microwave for 30 minutes at a medium or 50% power setting. Stop at the 15 minute mark to rotate.
- One dish is cooked, remove from microwave and take off the plastic wrap carefully.
- Leave lasagna to sit for approximately 5-10 minutes, before cutting some slices and serving it up to eat.
Now it’s time for you to give a go of cooking a homemade lasagna completely in your microwave oven. It’s delicious, satisfying, mouth-watering, and ridiculously easy! Oh I think I’ll have to make microwave lasagna for dinner tonight!