Breakfast burritos are an interesting dish to have a breakfast time. It’s a little bit different, which makes it all the more fun for your taste buds. Make them quickly using the microwave in the morning, or cook them the night before and simply reheat them in the microwave for a minute and they are hot and ready to eat or to take with you. What a quick and yummy brekkie!. And because you eat them after the tortillas are all wrapped up with a tasty filling inside, burritos are a great option to eat on the go in the morning, say on your way to the bus stop, or on the train.
What is a burrito?
A burrito is a popular Mexican as well as Tex-Mex dish. It can be easy to get burritos confused with other Mexican or Tex-Mex dishes as well as other dishes involving burritos. There’s tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, taquitos, quesadillas, flautas, tostadas, and wraps. Burritos are basically a wrapped flour tortilla with a yummy, usually cooked, often savory, filling inside.
Breakfast burritos are quite a popular dish in America, and are very similar to a normal burrito, wrapping a filling up in a flour tortilla, but in this case more breakfast like ingredients in the filling.
As burritos are usually wrapped up either completely or just with the top open, they make a good on the go food, or take out food, as it’s not too messy.
How to cook burritos?
To cook burritos, first you need some flour tortillas, as it’s usually flour tortillas which are used for making burritos. And you also need a filling. Burrito fillings are usually a cooked combination of ingredients that are ready to be added to a tortilla. Your filling can be pretty much anything you like, but see below for some ideas. Once your filling is prepared and cooked, you simply place your filling along the center of the burrito, wrap it up, and voila! It’s ready to eat. You can leave the top of the wrapped tortilla open if you like, or wrap it up completely.
A good tip is to heat and soften your tortillas before you fill them. This will make them softer and allow you to wrap them up easier without them breaking. To heat tortillas, before adding the filling, simply wrap them in a microwave-safe plastic wrap, paper or covered dish, and microwave on high for about 30 seconds. You can also heat them over the stove-top by very lightly cooking each side if you don’t have a microwave.
The fillings used in burritos can very quite a bit. Most common burritos have a savory filling and can consist of ingredients such as: beans, refried beans, rice, chicken, beef, chili peppers, vegetables such as lettuce or tomato, and topped with cheese, sour cream, salsa, hot pepper sauce or guacamole.
When cooking breakfast burritos, the ingredients are a bit different to suit a breakfast dish. Breakfast burritos can use fillings such as: tomato, scrambled eggs, bacon, cheddar cheese, potato cubes, chilies, and hot pepper sauce.
Burritos are a great dish to really experiment with what you like as the filling. Do you want it to be a breakfast burrito? Or a savory burrito with beans? Do you want to burn your mouth off with some hot chili peppers? As the filling is completely up to you, especially if you are making them yourself, you can make vegetarian or even vegan burritos, by not adding meat, eggs or cheese, and instead adding beans, rice, potato cubes or as many vegetables as you like.
Breakfast Burrito Recipes
Recipe: Chile, Egg & Cheese Hot Breakfast Burritos
Serving Size: Makes 4 burritos
- 4 flour tortillas – around 10 inches in size each
- 6 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups of cheddar cheese – shredded
- 4 medium sized potatoes (1 1/3 pounds) – prepared and cut into about ½ an inch sized cubes.
- ½ a cup of scallions – chopped
- 1 can (7 ounces) or green chilies (chopped or diced)
- 3 green chilies (roasted) – remove their seeds and skins before use.
- 1 ½ – 2 teaspoons of hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Optional: 3 tablespoons of red bell pepper – chopped
- For serving (optional): your choice of salsa and/or sour cream.
Directions for Stove and Microwave Cooking:
- Grab a microwaveable bowl to use for the potatoes. Throw cut potatoes into the bowl, use microwaveable plastic wrap to cover it, leaving a corner uncovered for venting. Cook in microwave for about 7 minutes on high setting, potatoes are ready just as they become tender.
- On your stove-top over high heat, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet (nonstick).
- Then add in the optional red bell pepper (if using), and the cooked potatoes.
- Cook this over high heat for approximately 5 minutes, throwing in an occasional toss of the potatoes.
- Add in the ½ cup of chopped scallions, and chopped or diced green chilies. Mix all together, and cook for an additional 2 minutes, continuing to toss.
- In another bowl, beat 6 eggs with the hot pepper sauce and water.
- Pour this egg mixture into the potato mixture and mix all together.
- Add in the cups of shredded cheddar cheese and mix well.
- Cook this for approximately 5 minutes, tossing well until the eggs are set.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over to taste.
- Next, it’s time to heat your tortillas in the microwave. Wrap them in microwaveable plastic wrap and heat for approximately 30 seconds on the high setting.
- Then lay each tortilla on a plate and spoon ¼ of your filling onto each tortilla. Wrap each one up to turn it into a fully closed burrito (full of yummy filling!).
- Serve each burrito as is, or with a small amount of your choice of salsa and/or sour cream.
Recipe: Egg & Bacon Breakfast Mexican Burritos
Serving Size: Makes 4 burritos
- 4 soft flour tortillas – taco sized
- 1 tomato (small) – chop, seed and core it before use
- 4 beaten eggs
- 5 slices of bacon
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Garnish: Your choice of salsa
Directions for Microwave and Stove-top Cooking:
- First, cook your bacon in the microwave. To do this, simply place the 5 slices on a paper plate, in between two paper towels, and cook on high for approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Bacon is ready when looks and feels crispy. Then, break the bacon up into smaller pieces (will add to mixture soon).
- Over your stove-top, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet.
- Add in 4 eggs and scramble, stopping just before it’s completely done.
- Now add in the small pieces of bacon and the chopped tomato and mix together.
- Cook this over your stove for about 30 seconds to a minute.
- Next, it’s time to heat and soften your tortillas. You can do this quickly in the microwave, by either wrapping them in microwaveable plastic wrap or paper, or by putting them in a covered microwave dish. Microwave from 20-60 seconds, not going over a minute.
- Open up each tortilla on a plate and use a spoon to place ¼ of the egg and bacon mixture onto each tortilla. Wrapping each one up into a burrito when done. Then serve.
- Best served right after cooking, with your favorite choice of salsa.
- If you want to store the burritos to eat them later (e.g. for lunch or at work, or if leftovers), you can do so in the freezer. Simply wrap each one up in foil separately and pop in the freezer.
- When reheating frozen burritos, first remove the foil and put them on a paper plate or microwave-safe dish. If heating just one burrito, cook in microwave on the high setting for about 1 to 1 ½ minutes (till you can see its been thoroughly heated). If cooking more than one, add an extra 30 to 45 seconds for each additional burrito.
These are just a few breakfast burrito recipes you can try. Come up with your own burrito recipe by adding your favorite ingredients and experiment with different flavors. You can make your burrito healthier by adding more vegetables, or make it hotter by adding more chilies. The choice of filling is really up to you! Enjoy!